28 May Winter Activities in Townsville
With year round sunshine and warm winter temperatures, Townsville in Northern Queensland is perfect for a winter escape. Townsville’s tropical climate means that the days are still warm with an average temperature of 24 degrees C and water temperatures rarely dipping below 21 degrees C. This means you can still enjoy water activities in Townsville during the winter months.
If that doesn’t convince you to holiday in Townsville during the winter months then these ideas for winter activities in Townsville just might:
1. Take a Hike
The milder winter temperatures are perfect for hiking in and around Townsville. Here’s some ideas on where you can get out into the great outdoors and enjoy the amazing scenery:
- Hike up Castle Hill and take in the 360 degree panoramic views from the top to Magnetic Island, the Coral Sea and to the hinterland.
- Traipse through open woodland and vine thickets at Cape Pallarenda Conservation Park. The historic quarantine station, established in 1915, was initially used to quarantine passengers on incoming ships.
- Jump on a ferry and head to Magnetic Island and hike through the national park, which covers more than half of the island, and can be accessed via a network of walking tracks from various parts of the island.
- Walk through the rainforests of Paluma Range National Park. Being part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area, it happens to have some pretty amazing rainforest trails that suit walkers of all levels, ranging from 300m to 4km.
2. Go Mountain Biking
There are mountain biking tracks in and around Townsville that suits all ages and ability. Try the Freshwater Lagoon Loop at Cape Pallarenda, Douglas has a dedicated Mountain Bike Reserve and Scrub Pythons has a fantastic beginner’s mountain bike track for kids to try.
3. Experience a Wildlife Encounter
There are several places in Townsville where you can get up close and personal with Australian wildlife, including:
- Reef HQ Great Barrier Reef Aquarium – home to the world’s largest living coral reef aquarium where you can see mariner life in giant water tanks.
- Cuddle a koala, feed a kangaroo, and stand close to a snapping crocodile at Billabong Sanctuary.
- Breakfast with koalas, snakes and lizards at the Bungalow Bay Koala Village on Magnetic Island.
- Go koala spotting on Magnetic Island on the Forts Walk.
4. Dive In!
Winter is still warm enough to partake in all types of water activities in Townsville. Try some theses for starters:
- Swim at Alma Bay on Magnetic Island.
- Head to Townsville’s five northern beaches for the ideal beach getaway. Bushland, Saunders, Toolakea, Toomulla and Balgal Beach combine the rugged bush with necessary amenities and beachside hideaways.
- Splash around at The Strand Water Park with low-pressure water cannons and a huge tipping bucket. Finish it off with a zip line into the rock pool swimming lagoon.
- Swim, walk, run, cycle, fish, water ski, or just watch the birds at the Riverway on the Ross River with plenty of choice with two huge swimming lagoons, the Riverwalk, an Arts Centre and restaurants.
- Take a snorkel and diving tour from Townsville out to Magnetic Island or the Great Barrier Reef.
5. Go Sightseeing on a Tour
There are plenty of awesome sights and intriguing history to be discovered in the Townsville region. Book a tour and start exploring, including:
- A 2.5 hour Townsville sightseeing tour perfect for getting your bearings around Townsville.
- A day trip to Charters Towers to take a step back in time and explore this historic gold mining town and its magnificent heritage buildings.
- Visit the Australian Institute of Marine Science, Australia’s tropical marine science research agency, at Cape Ferguson.
- Take a horse drawn Texas Longhorn wagon tour and a trip back in time – back to the old west, to the era of the legendary Texas Longhorns!
- Learn the fascinating military history of Townsville on a Townsville Military Tour.
There’s plenty of winter activities and things to do and see in sunny Townsville. Mariners North Holiday Apartments are the perfect family accommodation for your next Townsville Holiday. Select from two or three bedroom spacious and fully appointed apartments with amazing waterfront views. BOOK NOW